If you'd like to look back at my prior 30-Day Challenge photos, click here to go to my main blog page, Buff's Blog, which includes links on the right side to all of my other "bloglets."




Continuing Neon #4

Continuing Neon #4
Even More Neons!

Continuing Neon

Continuing Neon
Still More Neon!

Continuing Neon

Continuing Neon
More Neon!

September 2010 30-Day Photo Challenge

September 2010 30-Day Photo Challenge
September 2010 30-Day Photo Challenge

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 1 - Pacifico Beer



Leading up to this Challenge, I was worried that I might have difficulty finding illuminated neon signs in the few hours of darkness I'd realistically have available to me at night to shoot, since I do plan on sleeping during normal nighttime hours. I'm in the Pacific Time Zone, 3 hours behind Worth time, so I'm using 9 p.m to 9 p.m. as my twenty-four hour period. I didn't go out of my way to check in advance where there might be neon lights turned on at night either, but figured there had to be lots of them within a few miles of my house.

Tonight, I went out about 10 p.m. and drove down a major thoroughfare in my area, looking. Traffic was light. Lo and behold, I didn't have to go very far at all before finding a liquor store with this vibrant neon sign in the window! I have lived in this neighborhood for over twenty years, travel this street at least once a day, often several times, and have even been to this liquor store a few times, yet I can honestly say I have never noticed this sign before. Of course, it's far more visible at night, but still...

The store was closed, and fairly dark, except for a few small lights within, which I cloned out to eliminate the distraction. I guess that in honor of this first find I should actually go there and buy some Pacifico Beer, since I've never even heard of it, but it saved the day and got my blog off to an easy, and colorful, start!

This is great! Now I'm eagerly looking forward to my nightly junkets in quest of neon!

20 comments:

  1. An awesome festive image and a lovely colourful start to the month! If this is what you keep going out and finding all month, your blog is going to looks so much like starting a party!
    Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! a fabulous way to start your challenge. I love reading your stories that accompany the photos; keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great start. Can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun image! It's like a glowing doodle drawing especially since it fills the frame with no hint of the store facade. Btw, isn't it funny how much stuff we don't notice are just around us until we consciously look for them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to love your 30 days Buffmuffin!!!! You chose such a great idea!!! This photo is great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great start! Let's hope you find enough signs to last the month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful primary colors and contrast. I think this will make a cool book at the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man what a terrific theme! I love this one, and can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the vibrant colours in here.
    Today I went to the city and I saw several signs that would fit your theme, even photographed one :D but I also saw many "fake neons" with leds. Modern times as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice image to get you up and running, you are going to ahve a colourful site come the end of the month ;) The black background of your site is going to make all these neon pics pop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a sign would just make you smile in the darkness.
    MadamMtnLion

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree! this is a terrific theme! I am looking forward to the rest of your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great start! Nice bright colours, nearly looks like a drawing of some sort!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We're watching you Buff. Looking good, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your photo.. it's so happy and cute and very California with the surfboard sticking out of the back of that station wagon. I can't wait to see what new Neon and/or lit signs that you find during your treasure hunt this month. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just beautiful, has inspired me. I am adding "DO Neon signs" to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great image to start your challenge with :)

    cl_UK

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great start, Buff. Like the colors and how you made the lines look so clear

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a nice and catching sign to start your series with.

    egonlinden

    ReplyDelete