If you'd like to look back at my prior 30-Day Challenge photos, click here to go to my main blog page, Buff's Blog, which includes links on the right side to all of my other "bloglets."




Continuing Neon #4

Continuing Neon #4
Even More Neons!

Continuing Neon

Continuing Neon
Still More Neon!

Continuing Neon

Continuing Neon
More Neon!

September 2010 30-Day Photo Challenge

September 2010 30-Day Photo Challenge
September 2010 30-Day Photo Challenge

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day 4 - Westcliff Optometry


I guess I never noticed this one, either!  I used to live two blocks away from this business about 30 years ago.  The business was probably there, and it may have even had the neon sign.  What caught my eye this time, though, in the darkness, was the purple design, which really stands out brightly at night.  It forms an eye and eyebrow, which I discovered is the business logo when I Googled the business for any interesting tidbits.  http://www.westcliffoptometry.com/

The script is white, and stands out against the black outline of the words painted on the stucco of the building. You can see that quite a bit of the paint has deteriorated behind the letter W and to a lesser degree behind some of the others.

Someone mentioned yesterday that they hoped to see some of the neon signs in more context.  It probably won't happen during this challenge.  I'm really trying to show only the neon structure, design and lighting.  Personally I find the letter formation and connections sort of interesting, and as some of my outtake images show, the signage loses some of its distinction and detail if I try for a more contextual shot.  Also, the lighting is tricky when I try to expose for the neon at night.  What I may try to do is include links to the signs, so you can, if you want, see them in their natural environment, which I've done today.  (Click on the Contact Us of their webpage if you want to see their sign.)  Hope this helps!

18 comments:

  1. I like the combination of white and purple on this one, and the eye logo is great. It just seems so funny to me that an optometrist would need to light up their sign at night, but then I guess any kind of advertising is good advertising, even if you aren't in to provide the service! Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent logo. So bright and that purple looks so rich. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, the swirl is a stylized eye, that's clever. What a great find also to get the glow, or did you use a neutral filter and use a long shutter speed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No filters. Just 1/50 at 5.6 with ISO of 400. It was also a little foggy out which may have contributed to the the glow. We've been having fog at night, in the middle of summer! And foghorns for 3 nights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the simple colors of this one. With just the two colors the white really makes the purple pop. What's up with the eye though? I thought eyes were my department this month...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The colours work really well together, both for the business name and for your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aha, and I thought we were going to have a month of beer signs. There is actually a much larger variety than I would have expected. Keep up the good work!
    MadamMtnLion

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the fact this sign has a glow to it.

    cl_UK

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got me looking at neon signs now - I wanna do hem too! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clean and simple design on this sign

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a clever sign and a great photo of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love everything about this one. I think it's my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure I like those colours together - it's a clever design though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually prefer the signs as they are, detached from the store facades. I felt that from the very first sign, which I love, BTW. It seems to me that what you are revealing is signmaker's original concept in its purest form. I don't think every artist who works up an illuminated sign knows what sort of background that sign is going to get. So the artist is creating a design that has to stand on its own merits. Once again, you've come up with a cool idea that wouldn't have occurred to me but has been right under our noses all the time. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The glow around the sign has been caught very well.
    Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the glow, it makes the sign special and reminds me of the blur we see without glasses ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The commenter JMA has a very good point! This sign seems different from the others because more of the background is glowing, not just the sign itself. The effect really makes the wording stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the glow around the sign. Nice colours against the black.

    ReplyDelete