If you'd like to look back at my prior 30-Day Challenge photos, click here to go to my main blog page, Buff's Blog, which includes links on the right side to all of my other "bloglets."




Continuing Neon #4

Continuing Neon #4
Even More Neons!

Continuing Neon

Continuing Neon
Still More Neon!

Continuing Neon

Continuing Neon
More Neon!

September 2010 30-Day Photo Challenge

September 2010 30-Day Photo Challenge
September 2010 30-Day Photo Challenge

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 14 - Bluewater Grill



Last night I went to my photo club meeting.  We meet about 12-13 miles from my house and people come from a fairly wide area.  After the meeting I asked some of the people if they knew where some fun neon signs might be located (I was looking for areas I don't usually go to close to my home).  I got several suggestions, so after the meeting, I spent about an hour and a half driving around, looking for and noting locations of neon signs!  I had the time, fortunately, so I figured 'why not?" and just drove!  I found quite a few, which I will try to get to before the end of the challenge. 

I really underestimated the time looking for neon would take after the first week or so, so I think advance reconnaissance will cut down a lot of the nightly driving in all directions looking for something suitable!  Besides, now I have some ideas of designs and colors, so with any luck I can work out something which not only looks fun on a daily basis, but fits well into my final collage.  And, save gas in the process!

Today's image is from Bluewater Grill, a chain of seafood restaurants that I think is nationwide.  All of their logo signs are the same, but not all of them are neon.  This sign is from a restaurant different from the one we've gone to close by our home.  It's a little further, but it's neon, and our closer one isn't!

10 comments:

  1. I think this may well be the most beautiful one so far. I love how the extremely dark blue just fades into the black and how the lighter blue below gives it depth and actually makes it feel round. Really, really nice! Thanks for taking the time to find and photograph all these wonderful signs and so fabulously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My new favorite. Love the swordfish! Such a cool sign, and a great find.
    I have to ask how you are finding so many neon signs? I might be able to find 2-3 in my town, are these all in your own town, or are you having to travel?
    Either way great work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Duck! The easiest explanation I can give you is that I live in Orange County, California. Huge population (about 3 million people) in many cities where the only thing separating those cities is usually a sign on a sidewalk saying "Welcome to ____". Traveling north from where I live, I can probably go 100 miles without coming to open land. Just one giant swath of suburbia, with about 50 miles between where I live and Los Angeles, and another 50 or so miles beyond there! If you live in a small town, I guess it's hard to fathom, but if you go to Google, click on maps, then type in Orange County, California, then zoom in and move the map around, you will see the solid area I'm talking about! So, to get my pictures, it's just a matter of going out, driving around and looking for bright neon!

    Glad you're enjoying the neon I'm finding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, rich blueness! I will be sending a little time in Chicago in a few days, and I'm gonna be looking for neon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this one is my favorite so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at how beautifully your collage is developing.
    MadamMtnLion

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Blues!
    Once it gets dark a little earlier than now I hope to take my bike to the city one evening and zigzag through the center to get some neons as well, just for the fun of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colours and shapes in this - quite a beautiful sign!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful blues, I think my favourite so far.
    I do admire the work you put into your challenges to share with us a piece of your part of the world

    ReplyDelete