If you'd like to look back at my prior 30-Day Challenge photos, click here to go to my main blog page, Buff's Blog, which includes links on the right side to all of my other "bloglets."




Continuing Neon #4

Continuing Neon #4
Even More Neons!

Continuing Neon

Continuing Neon
Still More Neon!

Continuing Neon

Continuing Neon
More Neon!

September 2010 30-Day Photo Challenge

September 2010 30-Day Photo Challenge
September 2010 30-Day Photo Challenge

Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 10 - Bikini Beer


Well, last night was a tough one for neon. I drove to a different area than where I've been looking so far.  I thought since it was an arty area (Laguna Beach) I might find some neat neon.  But, alas, it was not to be.  I may not have driven far enough past the touristy area, but it was getting late and I was getting tired.  I figure I put about 15 miles on my odometer in a fruitless search.  Fortunately on my way home, I saw a liquor store with this neon sign.  It appears to be custom made for Corona del Mar (beach town where I live) because of the bikini babe and the name of the town added, so I figured it would be good for my challenge.  So there you have it, as if you didn't know, sex sells beer!

12 comments:

  1. ooh la la! I hate being so busy because I can not comment as much as I would like, but I am so enjoying your pictures. The drinking water one is great. You are isolating the signs very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit too detailed for my liking. I like the simpler ones which you can instantly work out what's being advertised without having to think too much - a bit like the drinking water one really. Glad you were able to find a sign :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a find, this sign - I don't know to what extent, if any, you tweaked the colors, but they're beautiful and vivid. BTW, I was inspired by you to go hunting for neon signs near me, and trying to photograph them. Suffice it to say that, as a result, I have a fresh appreciation for your efforts! It's a challenge finding them, getting a decent angle at which to shoot them, fiddling with shutter speed, all the while trying to avoid either getting run over or raising the eyebrows of passersby. So, you can't see me, but I'm bowing deeply in your direction. WTG

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love JMA's comment above as that is how I feel about your wonderful shots. I agree, please don't get run over as I want to see more of your neon signs!!! The raised eyebrows can't be seen in the dark so I don't worry about those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire the mileage you are making to get your signs. Whenever I think of a 30day theme one of the conditions is that I don't have to travel to far each day to get a shot.
    I love complex signs like this that must have been hard to design. I remember seeing a documentary long long ago about how these signs are made. The hardest part is to combine design with technical restrictions.
    I also like the retrolook of this one, very hollywoodish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It may not have been your original intent to capture a place and time with these shots, but I think it's happening anyway. With your earlier 30-day challenge, you did, too, to a certain extent; but doors and gates are not an endangered species, while neon signs may be. I don't know if you're seeing the same thing around your area as I have here, but LED signs seem to be encroaching on neon territory. (And they're dead cheap, so you know that's a trend that is not likely to change.) You may be performing a real cultural/historical service with this project. (Not to put any more pressure on you or anything!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, I like it. I love that there are 2 distinct colors of blue. I also really like seeing how with a few squiggles, the artist is able to represent something so clearly. I think you should site message sliquid and show him your signs; I'm sure he'd be interested as that is what he does for a living.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is of course unique (you pick nothing else) and very colorful... I will have to start opening my eyes after nightfall.
    MadamMtnLion

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely reminds me of Southern California.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carol, I've so enjoyed your neon signs! There are some areas of Orange County where neon signs are prohibited. I think you are recording history...great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A real work of art, in its own way. Great colours and curves again

    ReplyDelete