If you'd like to look back at my prior 30-Day Challenge photos, click here to go to my main blog page, Buff's Blog, which includes links on the right side to all of my other "bloglets."




Continuing Neon #4

Continuing Neon #4
Even More Neons!

Continuing Neon

Continuing Neon
Still More Neon!

Continuing Neon

Continuing Neon
More Neon!

September 2010 30-Day Photo Challenge

September 2010 30-Day Photo Challenge
September 2010 30-Day Photo Challenge

Friday, September 3, 2010

Day 3 - A is for Arches



This letter A was part of the signage for a locally renowned restaurant, The Arches, that used to be located at this site.  It was a longtime landmark in the city of Newport Beach, built in 1925, and the restaurant and its bar were for decades the favorites of Old Hollywood celebrities such as Shirley Temple, Gary Cooper, Howard Hughes, Humphrey Bogart, and of course John Wayne, who lived nearby. When The Arches recently lost its lease and moved to a nearby location, the site was taken over and reopened as A Restaurant (yep, that's the name), keeping the iconic and easily recognizable A from the original restaurant.  Upon close inspection, I found it interesting to note how the signmaker connected the main illuminated part of the letter A with the interior triangles. 

21 comments:

  1. Your end piece is going to be so colorful...I sure hope you continue to have such successful finds.
    MadamMtnLion

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very cool letter and a wonderful historical commentary. The solid black background always does these shots such good justice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great shot. Beautifully bright. Are you cloning out posts and wires?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ! This photo really grabs you. A fantastic neon sign - simple yet eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm shooting at night, so all of them so far are either on dark walls or in dark-ish windows. And yes, I'm darkening areas outside the signs to clean them up. However, in fairness, I'm not taking pics that have too much to darken/clean up, since finding and taking the pics takes enough time in itself! Glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a bit (alot) lean for time, so I'll do my best to check in ever few days with you Buff.. Firstly, thankyou very very much for your time and efforts in all the comments you've already given me..

    Looks like you're off a great start with the 30DC! Your images are nice & clean with great color against those black backdrops.. But I'm secretly hoping that your photography starts to evolve a bit more than just the signs plonked in the middle of your frames. Reflections, blurs and alike, bringing more into your compositions and in return your images will hold us a bit longer, making us explore the image and make us scratch our heads as to what you're trying to share and just how you did it.

    I'll be watching either way with great interest!
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  7. A+ great shot! I found myself looking for neon signs in town to shoot after seeing your great collection...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is cool!!! If I'm not mistaken, there is a little spot taken out on the bottom right corner of the A. It's still great though!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about that... error in prior post.

    To answer ellehchMevoLI - Good eye! Actually, it's not taken out. Due to the angle of where I was standing, which I didn't notice at the time, it's where the raised edge of the oval frame of the sign slides under the letter A cuts off the haloing from the neon. I wondered if anyone would see it because yes, it does look like a "sloppy masking job" doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shouldn't A have been your first one? :D Another great neon shot. You mentioned about the connections between the various lights - I was thinking that they could have at least coloured those connections yellow!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A+! I like the color of this one - and I'm loving the history lessons.
    mmc9496

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like this sign. Very articially done - and taken.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like that black wire because it gives it character. Thanks for the little history lesson. Putting the sign in context gives the whole thing new meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those black backgrounds really make these signs even more interesting and bright, and this isn't a difference.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  16. The choice of neon signs really was a great one, I had no idea they would be so cool, with all the black around, they are striking!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool having the description to go along with it. Nicely done, yet again :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice letter A, thanks for the commnets on the history.

    cl_UK

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your descriptions are a great help to give the signs some perspective. I can imagine it is sometimes hard to shoot them. Do you bring your own stepladder?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't believe I am so far behind on some (most of the blogs). A wonderful simple and classy shot. Your gallery is looking great!

    ReplyDelete